Graham Glass (founder of The Mind Electric, which built Glue and sold to webMethods) has released the beta of his open education platform.
The early beta of EDU 2.0 is now officially live. You can access the site at http://www.edu20.org. To obtain a password, visit the site and register your email address.
Apart from continuing the 2.0 naming craze, EDU 2.0 makes sense. Graham and I talked about this soon after he started working on the venture. His idea was to open educational content up and make anyone an educator and everyone a student. Given how much time & effort people are willing to invest in their own and their kids’ education, I expect the community to succeed.
And, BTW, this is another site built on Ruby/Rails.
Wishlist for the final release:
- Much higher performance
- Better site navigation & spiffier design
- Fewer clicks to get around, e.g., a contributor’s profile should automatically include recent posts.
- Introduction of rich media
- Analytics to track individuals, groups, courses, etc.
- Community translation capabilities so that content becomes available to people worldwide
Source: Graham Glass, etc.